Free Consultation Advice
CIVIL LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR, GMH LEGAL
GMH Legal have just been announced the Civil Law Firm of the Year winners in the ACQ LAW AWARDS (now celebrating their 10th Anniversary). The ACQ Law Awards celebrate achievement, innovation and brilliance in the Legal industry. We have a proud history of fighting for our client's best interests at GMH Lega...
Australians can apply to grow cannabis for medicinal use from November 2016
Growing cannabis legally is a step closer as federal legislation comes into effect allowing the drug to be grown for medicinal purposes. Australia has enacted the Narcotics Drugs Amendment Bill of 2016 to “establish licensing and permit schemes for the cultivation and production of cannabis and cannabis resin fo...
NOW OPEN – Community Proposal Pilot (CPP) – 2016
APPLICANTS ONLY HAVE 30 DAYS TO APPLY FOR AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST. In breaking news, issued on 1 July 2016, it has been announced that there will be 500 individual visa places available in the Community Proposal Pilot (CPP) for the 2016 year. APPLICANTS ONLY HAVE 30 DAYS TO APPLY FOR AN EXPRESSION OF I...
RECENT DEVELOPMENTS – OFFERS OF COMPROMISE
McGlashan V QBE Insurance (Australia) Ltd (No 4)  NSWSC 882 Campbell J was required to determine two issues in relation to the offer of compromise in this case. First, his Honour was required to determine whether the plaintiff was able to make an informed assessment of the offer in circumstances wh...
Last Will & Testament of Diana, Princess of Wales
I DIANA PRINCESS OF WALES of Kensington Palace London W8 HEREBY REVOKE all former Wills and testamentary dispositions made by me AND DECLARE this to be my last Will which I make this First day Of June One thousand nine hundred and ninety three 1 I APPOINT my mother THE HONOURABLE MRS FRANCES RUTH SHAND KYDD ...
One Less Liability For Lawyers
Our firm was recently involved in proceedings in which a party to proceedings attempted to bind our firm to be ‘jointly and severally liable’ for a referees tax invoice to the sum of $325,000 plus GST. The Plaintiffs relied upon a 20 year-old precedent of questionable authority being Birkai Pty Ltd v Perma...
Suite 309 – 310, Level 3
13A Montgomery Street
KOGARAH NSW 2217
SYDNEY CITY OFFICE
54 Martin Place
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9587 0458
Facsimile: (02) 9587 2936
Local Government and Planning
We understand both the legal environment and the political dynamic within which councils:
- make decisions
- exercise their legal rights and obligations
- deliver services and
- exercise their functions
We have a proven track record of:
- Providing legal advice across all areas of council operations;
- representing parties in a range of commercial and property related transactions;
- drafting and preparing a broad range of commercial and property related contracts and agreements;
- undertaking the internal and external investigation of complaints;
- advising on the conduct of administrative reviews of council decisions;
- preparing submissions and making representations to the Division of Local Government, Department of Planning, ICAC, the NSW Ombudsman and various Ministers and other State Government departments.
We can provide advice in relation to:
- the use and management of community land, the classification and reclassification of land, the sale and lease of operational land and lease of community land;
- the development of land;
- issues relating to public roads, public reserves and crown land as well as land title issues under both Old System Title and Torrens System land;
- the compulsory acquisition of land;
- public tendering and procurement;
- approvals and orders (issuing and compliance);
- the roles and responsibilities of the elected members of councils, the General Manager, public officer and senior council staff;
- probity matters;
- corporate governance and administrative issues;
- meeting practice and procedure;
- accounting, financial administration, management plans, annual reports, auditing and grant fund administration, rates, charges and fees; the conduct of local government elections;
- the conduct of councillors and senior staff including with respect to councillor misconduct and the suspension and dismissal of councillors from civic office;
- employment issues (engagement, conduct and performance; termination);
- occupational health and safety issues (including incident investigation, prevention and defending WorkCover prosecutions);
- issues relating to trade practices law, telecommunications law, intellectual property law, consumer law and native title law;
- development assessment and approval; and
- the powers and duties of councils under the:
- Administrative Decisions Tribunal Act 1997
- Anti-Discrimination Act 1977
- Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998
- Civil Liability Act 2002
- Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Commonwealth)
- Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979
- Fair Trading Act 1987
- Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009
- Independent Commission Against Corruption Act 1988
- Local Government Act 1993
- Land Acquisition (Just Terms Compensation) Act 1991
- Ombudsman Act 1974
- Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998
- Protected Disclosures Act 1994
- Roads Act 1993
- Water Management Act 2000
- Sydney Water Act 1994
Call the experienced team at GMH Legal to assist you in your matter.
A free consultation with GMH Legal is an opportunity to gain deep insights into your legal situation and all of your options.
Why Choose GMH Legal?
- Over 60 years of combined legal experience
- Outstanding track record with a winning approach
- First appointment is always free
- Meet our team now.