WHAT IS CONVEYANCING?
Conveyancing is the transfer of the legal title (ownership) of a property from one person to another.
The conveyancing process can involve the following steps:
- Arranging building and pest inspections
- Examining a strata inspection report if the property is part of a strata scheme
- Arranging finance if necessary
- Examining and exchanging the contract of sale
- Paying the deposit
- Arranging payment of stamp duties
- Preparing and examining the mortgage agreement
- Checking if there are outstanding arrears of land tax obligations
- Finding out if any government authority has a vested interest in the land or if any planned development could affect the property (e.g. Local council, Sydney Water, Roads and traffic Authority)
- Finding out any information that may not have been previously disclosed such as a fence dispute or illegal building work
- Calculating adjustments for council and water rates for the property settlement
- Overseeing the change of title with the Land and Property Information NSW
- Completing any final checks prior to settlement
- Attending settlement
WHO CAN DO THE CONVEYANCING WORK?
The conveyancing work can be performed by three different persons:
- A licensed conveyer
- A Solicitor
USING A LICENSED CONVEYANCER
In NSW, conveyancers must be licensed with NSW Fair Trading. Most conveyancers hold an unrestricted license that allows them to perform the full scope of conveyancing work for residential, commercial and rural property.
Conveyancers are licensed to do legal work such as preparing documents, giving legal advice on contracts and explaining the implications. To perform a license check on the conveyancer you have selected, please click here.
Please note that licensed conveyancers must have professional indemnity insurance to protect you in case they make a mistake or are negligent in their work. If they are dishonest with the money you have entrusted to them, you may have access to the Compensation Fund administered by Fair Trading.
USING A SOLICITOR
While conveyancers and Solicitors are equally qualified to do conveyancing work, solicitors can also give you legal advice about other matters.
All Solicitors carry professional indemnity insurance.
At GMH Legal, our dedicated Conveyancing team can assist you with the legal requirements for all of your property matters. Our extensive knowledge and experience of the housing market in New South Wales will guarantee you the benefit of smooth conveyancing transaction and an outstanding service by our staff.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any question(s) about conveyancing services.
DOING YOUR OWN CONVEYANCING
Doing your own conveyancing can be risky because you cannot get the same insurance available to a licensed conveyancer or Solicitor. This means that if you make a mistake you will be responsible and be exempt from any compensation.
At GMH Legal we do not recommend that you do your own conveyancing unless you have significant experience in that domain.
Fees will vary between Solicitors and conveyancers as there is no official charge for conveyancing. In additional to a legal service fee, you will be charged for ‘disbursements’.
Generally, disbursements can include:
- A title search
- Certificate fees charges by authorities responsible for water, electricity, roads, schools etc.
- Registration of the mortgage
Costs other than legal fees and disbursements will usually include:
- Building and pest inspections
- Survey report
- Establishment of mortgage
- Home building insurance
- Valuation fees
- Mortgage insurance
- Stamp duty and mortgage duty
- Council and water rates
Please note that legal practitioners and conveyancers are required to disclose their costs to clients, including the client’s right to negotiate a costs agreement, receive bills and be advised of changes.
For more information about conveyancing, please see Fair Trading’s ‘Conveyancing fact sheet’.
WHY SHOULD YOU CHOOSE GMH LEGAL?
At GMH Legal our team of experienced Solicitors will provide a professional and efficient service, with friendly, helpful advice every step of the way to guide you through the whole conveyancing process.
Our aim is to gain a thorough understanding of our clients’ distinctive needs and objectives, before providing them with the best legal advice available in an efficient and cost effective manner
- For that reason, our first appointment is always free!
We will deliver the following services:
- Prepare your Contract for Sale
- Negotiate the terms of the Contract on your behalf
- Attend the exchange of Contracts
- Contact your lender to ensure the property will be released on settlement
- Prepare the settlement of your transaction
- Keep you updated on every step of the conveyancing process.
With GMH Legal, you can have peace of mind that your legal fees are fixed, with no hidden costs. The initial fixed fee conveyancing quote* will be the fee you will be paying upon completion.
In addition, we will beat any comparative quote by 5%!
If you are thinking of buying or selling a property, call us today on (02) 9587 0458.
GMH LEGAL’S LOW PRICE GUARANTEE
At GMH Legal, we will beat any comparative quote by 5%.
With over 60 years of combined legal experience, we have a history of providing sound and commercially astute legal advice in a decisive, efficient and client-focused way.
We understand that buying or selling real estate is one of the most important legal transactions that you will make in your lifetime and our panel of conveyancing solicitors will guide you through every step of the transaction, making sure the conveyancing process runs as smooth as possible, whilst providing excellent service.
Our outstanding track record demonstrates our team’s breadth of understanding and expertise in conveyancing law.
If you are thinking of buying or selling a property, call us today on (02) 9587 0458 so we can provide you with insightful and effective legal advice that will help you gain competitive advantage on the real estate market.
* The Low Price Guarantee is only available for residential conveyancing services. The offer does not extend to a quote from a license conveyancer and/or online conveyancer service or a quote on a non-residential conveyance. It applies to professional fees only.
Call the experienced team at GMH Legal to assist you in your matter.
A free consultation with GMH Legal is an opportunity to gain deep insights into your legal situation and all of your options.
Why Choose GMH Legal?
- Over 60 years of combined legal experience
- Outstanding track record with a winning approach
- First appointment is always free
- Meet our team now.