Free Consultation Advice
Suite 309 – 310, Level 3
13A Montgomery Street
KOGARAH NSW 2217
SYDNEY CITY OFFICE
54 Martin Place
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9587 0458
Facsimile: (02) 9587 2936
There’s no doubt that social media and how we operate online is having a big impact on our lives. Have you ever thought about what happens to your social media accounts or digital assets if you’re no longer here?
Many Australians now store an enormous amount of their creative output online. The way we are filing, storing, collecting and communicating is changing, and so is our Wills service.
Some may want those accounts shut down when they die, while others may want them memorialised.
Think about who will have possession of your smart phone, computer, tablets, and other devices that store your photos, passwords and account information for all of those apps that help diarise your life (and food). Now you can leave instructions for the future of those accounts in a will.
Social media platforms will only ask for proof of death, so a certificate will be enough to close an account down or memorialise it.
It’s also important to remember that social media platforms are all regulated by their own unique terms and conditions, which will frequently include policies for deceased users’ accounts.
We weren’t thinking about this issue five or 10 years ago, but as the number of users who create some form of social media account continues to grow, it’s important to plan what happens to those accounts.
Tips on how to protect your digital legacy
- Review the ‘deceased user’ policies of each social media and email platform you use
- Plan how you want each account dealt with once you pass away
- See a legal expert to prepare a Will which includes instructions on how you want your digital profiles dealt with
- Don’t limit your wishes to specific current social media platforms
Call the experienced team at GMH Legal to assist you in your matter.
A free consultation with GMH Legal is an opportunity to gain deep insights into your legal situation and all of your options.
Why Choose GMH Legal?
- Over 60 years of combined legal experience
- Outstanding track record with a winning approach
- First appointment is always free
- Meet our team now.